Monday 4 November 2013

NaNoWriMo Day #3 / DAVIDsTEA 'The Glow'

Day #3 of NaNoWrimo has just passed. I thought I was making reasonably good progress, with just over 4600 words or so on my story. Then, I went to visit the forums and I saw that some people already had over 10,000 words. It's only the third day! Mad respect for them. 

It's starting to feel like winter now: Starbucks has their seasonal Christmas drinks out already; the weather feels like it's in the negative degrees; I slipped this morning walking to my tutor job ... it feels like December even though it's November! It's cold even in my apartment, which is notorious for its heat.

To keep myself warm and hydrated while I studied for my STAT midterm and watched TV, I made myself a cup of tea. It's a new kind I bought from DAVIDsTEA; I didn't know there were so many near my home - there's one in Lougheed, one in Waterfront, and one opening over at Metrotown. I applied for an opening as a tea guide to the Metrotown location but alas, I was a few days past the deadline.

Today, I poured myself 'The Glow', which is an herbal blend of rooibos, jasmine, cinnamon, and rose petals. 


I personally don't like tea from Tea Forte, but I can't deny that they sell very cute cups.

The Glow is said to be good for the skin - it's apparently like a spa in a cup. I don't know about any beautifying effects, but I love the delicate flavours of the jasmine and rose petals mixing together. The cinnamon is just barely there; you can taste it but it's not overpowering at all. It enhances the general flavour of the tea, and adds a bit of texture to it that might not have been there if it was only jasmine and rose. 

I've never had non-flavoured rooibos tea - I thought the taste of the rooibos was the cinnamon at first until the second sip. Though not bitter (even before I added my 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar), it certainly gives it a bit more of an earthy taste. It's not so bad the first few sips, but after a while, the rooibos seems to give the tea a sort of ... medicinal taste? That's my own interpretation of this odd feeling. It's not bad - it reminds me of the swallow nests or rose-infused Chinese medicines that people drink for skincare. It's just not something I would usually want to drink on a daily basis. 

'The Glow' was put on my 'To Buy' list when I went to the Waterfront location of DAVIDsTEA because I was interested in the beautifying effects. Now that I've tried the tea, I can positively say I will probably buy it again in the future. Despite my comments about the flavour of the rooibos, I am still enamoured by the delicate harmony of the rose and the jasmine. I am relieved, though, that I didn't buy too much - 50 g is more than enough at one time!

The Glow
Brand:
 DAVIDsTEA
Type: Herbal - Rooibos
Caffeinated: No
Price: $7.50/50 g - reasonable
Flavour: 9/10 - delicate and harmonized, but I personally don't like the flavour of rooibos
Recommend: 85% 

No comments:

Post a Comment